Suggest treatment for heel pain

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have heel pain in one foot, severe in mornings and standing for long period of time. Not certain what it is or how to treat.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is it worst with the first steps and gets better during the day?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this pain. If this pain is worse with the first steps in the morning and progressively gets better with more steps, it is plantar fasciitis. This is managed with pain medications such as advil and Aleve. Other measures include physical therapy, night splints and othotics. If these measures fail, we may consider injection with steroids and surgery as last options.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me as you please.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 minutes later
Yes, it is worse in morning and eases throughout the day. Pain intensifies if walking or standing long period of time. Do you recommend any of the OTC devices that fit into shoe or any creams for foot?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will go with pain medications first!

Detailed Answer:

I will recommend pain medication and physical therapy for immediate measures. For orthotics, they need to be custom fitted and thus over the counter ones would not be best unless you have the luck of getting something that works well for you. However, feel free to try any because they are safe and should you witness improvement, then keep up with it. If no improvement, there will be need for you to get custom fitted one.

I wish you well and always viable for further exchanges.