• question-icon

Suggest treatment for heavy rectal bleeding

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been experience some pretty heavy bleeding from my rectum, that came on suddenly in the last week.
This morning when I got up there was blood all over my bed.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be diverticular hemorrhage.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The abrupt onset of painless, significant hematochezia (passage of bright red blood per rectum) is characteristic of diverticular hemorrhage.
Other causes can be angiodysplasia – abnormal blood vessels in the gastrointestinal tract, or gastroenteritis – a viral or bacterial infection of the stomach and bowel.
You need to consult a gastroenterologist for proper investigations to detect the exact cause.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you so much. It just scared me - I have been under quite a bit of stress and wasn't sure if that was the issue. I do have an appointment (coincidentally) next week for a colonoscopy. Do you suggest any other doctor visits?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hemostatics can help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

Until you get to the doctor next week, you may consult a general physician and get some hemostatic agents like tranexaemic acid prescribed that will help in stopping any such episodes further. Do take soft and easy to digest meals and avoid constipation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN