Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for heavy hair fall and frequent colds

Answered by
Dr. Johny Chacko


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1919 Questions

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Hair Loss
Question: I am having heavy hair fall and very frequent colds from almost a year. Need to find the cause for it. Have consulted many doctors but no use. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hair fall treatment

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are having severe hair fall from 1 year.

You have also mentioned that you have tried ayurvedic and homeopathic medications.

Severe hair loss over few months is called telogen effluvium.

It is a hair loss pattern usually triggered by a physical illness (like viral fever, typhoid fever, hepatitis, etc), stress, crash dieting, weight loss, child birth and surgery which you would have about 3 - 6 months prior to onset of hair fall.
It could also be due to underlying anaemia and thyroid abnormalities.

I would suggest you the following-

1. Please check your blood for Hemoglobin, Serum ferritin levels and thyroid status ( T3, T4, TSH). If you have any underlying anaemia or thyroid abnormalities, they could be the cause for severe hair loss and have to be addressed by a physician.

2. You could take a supplement containing biotin 5 mg, L- cysteine and L- Methionine once a day. This will help to strengthen your hair roots. You can take this for 3-4 months.

3. Have a well balanced, nutritious diet rich in protein. Include eggs and pulses in your diet. Biotin rich foods include carrots, almonds, walnut, cucumber, cauliflower, milk and eggs. Eggs also have protein and amino acids required for hair growth.

4. Mental stress can also contribute to hair fall. Control your stress levels by yoga/ meditation and other relaxation techniques.

If the above measures do not give you satisfactory results even after 3 - 4 months, you could consider applying 2 % minoxidil solution. This has to be prescribed by a dermatologist.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to assist.

Take care.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Typhoid fever

doctor1 MD

I'm 37 years of age, around 55kg ,5ft and have been treated for malaria and typhoid in recent time and in the past. I have been suffering from mild pains in my middle-left of abdomen and I now feel the pain in my left part of the chest and sex organ and this has made sex unsuitable as I do not ejaculate now when I have sex and also courses weak erection. Please what could be my health situation?

doctor1 MD

I have had recent blood samples and urine and stool cultures done. I had typhoid which took months to clear whilst I am in India. I have recently been passing what I know to be part of the superficial intestine (I had a dog who died from parvovirus and he passed the same thing just before his death and which I showed to his vet!) I recently had some diarheoa but not severe. Now, however, just 5 days after the results came back normal, I have a really severe sore throat, chest, back, neck and shoulders. My arms are sore to move and to touch, and covered in mosquito bites. I have severe pain in between my shoulder blades for which I am taking continuous pain killers. My fever is 102 and up to 104, for the past 2 days. I feel like I have severe flu and cannot do anything, even moving my fingers is causing pain!!! Can I have malaria even if my tests came back showing nothing abnormal? My chest hurts to cough, so does my back.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, i have a pain in my right side of my abdomen, exactly on the place where liver is located. it started when i was in hospital treating for malaria, pneumonia and typhoid fever. the examination result for these diseases in different hospitals was different. but i took all the prescribed drugs. When I check i check my liver except there was enlargement of liver and spleen, they called Hepatosplenomegaly they told me that the size and function of the liver is fine. but still the pain after a year and half is continuing. sometimes it is low and other time very strong which i feel it very well when i asleep by that side. plus i have disc prostitution case which is not treated. So, my question is do you think that the problem is liver case or associated with the disc problem?

doctor1 MD

had severe urinary infection with high fever on 14th Feb and on CT Scan found stones in tube had laser operation and stones removed but till date fever persists. What could be the reason for the fever and chills. All test taken No Dengue,Typhoid,Malaria. CBC shows infection

doctor1 MD

I am having joint pain post my typhoid . Still not going down. Have been taking wysolon. Any other medicine

doctor1 MD

Fever from 16 days. got CBC, Typhpoiid and Dengue test done.Got Typhoid Positive. (TYPHI IgG(RAPID ASSAY) - within range(Negative) (TYPHI IgG(RAPID ASSAY) - out of range(Positive) Taken medicine from 11 days.Still fever exists. Today then CBC,...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I have recently diagnosed with typhoid one month back and I took course of antibiotics. I started developing anxiety kind of like unknown fear and disturbed mind during this typhoid. Is it common to have this symptom. 8 years back I had...