Suggest treatment for heavy hair fall and frequent colds

Dermatologist
Question
I am having heavy hair fall and very frequent colds from almost a year. Need to find the cause for it. Have consulted many doctors but no use. Please help.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hair fall treatment

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are having severe hair fall from 1 year.

You have also mentioned that you have tried ayurvedic and homeopathic medications.

Severe hair loss over few months is called telogen effluvium.

It is a hair loss pattern usually triggered by a physical illness (like viral fever, typhoid fever, hepatitis, etc), stress, crash dieting, weight loss, child birth and surgery which you would have about 3 - 6 months prior to onset of hair fall.
It could also be due to underlying anaemia and thyroid abnormalities.

I would suggest you the following-

1. Please check your blood for Hemoglobin, Serum ferritin levels and thyroid status ( T3, T4, TSH). If you have any underlying anaemia or thyroid abnormalities, they could be the cause for severe hair loss and have to be addressed by a physician.

2. You could take a supplement containing biotin 5 mg, L- cysteine and L- Methionine once a day. This will help to strengthen your hair roots. You can take this for 3-4 months.

3. Have a well balanced, nutritious diet rich in protein. Include eggs and pulses in your diet. Biotin rich foods include carrots, almonds, walnut, cucumber, cauliflower, milk and eggs. Eggs also have protein and amino acids required for hair growth.

4. Mental stress can also contribute to hair fall. Control your stress levels by yoga/ meditation and other relaxation techniques.

If the above measures do not give you satisfactory results even after 3 - 4 months, you could consider applying 2 % minoxidil solution. This has to be prescribed by a dermatologist.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to assist.

Dr. Johny Chacko