Suggest treatment for heavy and abnormal vaginal bleeding

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. I have had large blood clots since last night. I have passed about 7. I have been running through super tampons. This happened a couple of weeks ago but only lasted a night. Should I go to a walk in clinic? I do not have a gyno.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide additional information

Detailed Answer:
1. Is there any chance of pregnancy?
2. When this happened before, did they do an ultrasound?
3. Are you feeling dizzy or light-headed?

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 minutes later
No pregnancy. No ultrasound. Feeling light headed
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You definitely need to be seen today

Detailed Answer:
There are multiple possible causes of heavy and abnormal bleeding. This could be related to irregular cycles and bleeding related to a buildup of the uterine lining (often requiring a D&C to stop the bleeding). It is also a common problem in the setting of fibroids of the uterus or uterine polyps. Yes, you need to go to an ER or urgent care. I would choose the ER because they will have the ability to perform imaging to figure out what is going on. Make sure they:

1. Check labs to see how anemic you are
2. Make sure that they perform at least an ultrasound
3. Offer IV fluids and this will take care of the dizziness
4. Make sure that they consult whoever is on call for the GYN service

I hope that this helps and good luck to you!
Dr. Tim