Suggest treatment for heaviness in abdomen along with IBS

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I am XXXX XXXXXXX age 60 years Height 5'10". For the past some months I have been suffering from Stomach Disorders e.g. heaviness in abdomen, IBS I have to go washroom 3-4 times daily.

Recently I soght advice from my family doctor who is a Gastroentrologist and he has advised me the following medicines:-
1.     PANKREOFLAT          1     1     1
2.     ENTROFLORA (PREBIOTIC & OROBIOTIC DELAYED RELEASE)     1     X     1
3.     COLIRID      1     X     1
4.     VELOZ          1     X     1
5.     SPIREX D3 60K 1 WEEKLY FOR 12 WEEKS

Kindly advise me what precautions I should take to Get well soon.
I am must confess that I normally consume 5-6 glasses of water.
Frequently I consumed a pint of beer 3-4 days in a week

Besides the above medicines I am taking Amcard AT (Last 25 years) and
Zyloric( daily 1 tab) for the last about 20 years.

XXX XXXXXXX
0000
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
Few investigations and avoid all the foods/ beverages/ factors you noted.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Namaskar.

Read and understood your history of stomach disorders like heaviness of abdomen, IBS and have to go to washroom 3-4 times a day for the past some months.

Noted all the medicines you are taking since long ( Amcard AT (Last 25 years) and
Zyloric( daily 1 tab) for the last about 20 years.) and those prescribed by your Gastroenterologist Family Doctor.

I would advise in such a situation to get the basic investigations done as you have been having hte problems for some months.
- Routine tests of blood, urine and stool. (blood: CBC, Sugar, Liver functions, Kidney functions, Thyroid functions).
- Ultrasonography of abdomen.
- The treatment given by your Doctor is great, please continue it as it is.
I would add on the medicines as per the reports of the tests. It may be a 5-day course of antibiotic and metronidazole.
- Ultrasonography of the abdomen.

Precautions I would advise in such a case are:
- As you know the beer can disturb the bacterial flora of the intestines and it would be better to stop for 15 days and see the results.
- Avoid all the foods and beverages that you must have noticed to cause disturbance in the intestines. You have to note and list them up and stop strictly.
- You can add Curd to the diet if it suits you.
- Otherwise normal, full home-made foods as before.
- Avoid outside food even in some parties or social occasions like marriages and so, you have to learn to say no. A single disturbance and all out efforts are gone and have to start from the beginning./
- Any other point you must have noticed to increase or instigate your problems that I might have missed to mention.

I hope this answer helps you to get a proper diagnosis, and get a proper further treatment. Please feel free to ask for more or if you need further clarifications or if you feel there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon