Suggest treatment for heartburn and pink vaginal discharge

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 19 Oct 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I have a iud I've had it for 4 years now.I had pink discharge today I've never had that before is it normal? Also I've had really bad heartburn lately I usually don't get that either.I don't have a OBGYN doctor at this time I'm not sure what's yo do
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is likely normal, rule out pregnancy...

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question.

First, I am assuming that this is the Mirena IUD given that you are implying that you normally do not get a period. As you know, this IUD can be in place for 5 years and be considered effective. In fact, it is as effective as have a tubal ligation in terms of preventing pregnancy. That being said, it is not 100% and with the breakthrough bleeding and heartburn, it would be wise to do a pregnancy test to make sure that this is not an issue.

Assuming that the test is negative, causes of pinkish spotting might include"

1. Thinning of the uterine lining cause by the IUD and bleeding from an 'atrophic' uterine lining. This is very common and of little concern. It can be helped by a short course of progesterone or perhaps even going in early for a replacement IUD
2. Anatomic changes such as the development of polyps in the uterus. These are very common and easy to diagnose with an ultrasound
3. Bleeding from the cervix itself. This can be caused by infections and intercourse, for example

So, the bottom line is this - do not panic. Pregnancy is very unlikely but MUST be ruled out with a pregnancy test now and again in one week. Also, find an OB/GYN and get in to have the IUD removed and replaced with a new one!

Does this help?
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng