Suggest treatment for heart fluttering

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
Hello...I am a 45 year old female that has had these heart "flutters" for many years. They seem to be less frequent when I exercise regularly, but lately they have been happening more often. I haven't been exercising and it seems to be after I eat. Some of the flutters are painful but only last about 1/2 a second. No shortness of breath or other symptoms. I was diagnosed with acid reflux many years ago as well. I walked 3.5 miles yesterday and didn't have one flutter during that...
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need further investigation.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Heart flutters are quite common and most do not need any treatment. It would be impossible at this stage to make a diagnosis of exactly what the arrhythmia is. Therefore, I suggest you see a cardiologist for investigation. These may involve a 24 hour tape and an echo. If it is considered that treatment is indicated then this may be beta blockers.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger