• question-icon

Suggest treatment for heart failure

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I suffered an occurance of heart failure a year and a half ago. I need to talk to a electro physiologist or a cardiologist. I think the world of my electro physiologist, but we differ on whether or not i will be able to ween myself off of the drugs I am taking for it. I am non-ishemic and think I will be able to stop taking them.
What are my odds?

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treating the underlying cause is the first step

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern and I commend you for being so proactive.

When it comes to heart failure, it is very important to treat the underlying cause, whether it is hypertension, faulty valves, blocked coronary arteries, rhythm abnormalities, damage or inflammation to the heart muscle or diabetes. It is not clear from your account what the cause of the heart failure was, however, without getting the ejection fraction back to normal it is best to continue to be on the medication.

The ejection fraction is the indicator that shows how well your heart is pumping blood. If below 55 percent then you should be on medication.

With an ejection fraction of 39, I'm afraid you are not ready to quit the medication, otherwise, you would be putting yourself at risk. Weighing the benefits is the sensible thing to do, and in this case, side effects are the lesser evil than a reduced heart function.

I hope this helps with your decisions and judgment. Feel free to ask further questions.
Wishing you a good healthy life.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ornela Ademovi