Suggest treatment for hearing loss in both ears after Waxol usage

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have hearing loss in both ears and use 2 hearing aids. I have a test booked at my hearing aid supplier for the 8th of January, so I went to a GGP to get my ears syringed of wax build up, which is required before the test. She prescribed me Waxol to loosen the wax before the syringe, and told me to start now.
When I got home I used the Waxol, then I thought it would be better to start after Christmas so I wouldn't have loose wax for the day, so I have only applied it once.
Then on Christmas Eve my hearing aids started playing up. One has stopp0ed working completely and the other works very very little with an accompanying hum.
It's now Chriustmas Day in Australia and I can't join in my family celebrations because I can't hear. My hearing aids played up for Christmas Day last year too and I had to watch all the fun.
I can't ask Connect Hearing Australia because everyones off enjoying their Christmas.

Is there anything I can do. I spent all of Christmkas Eve flushing water through the plastic bits to clear blockages that weren';t there in the first place.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Impact wax

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
From the history it appears to be the wax that started loosening on waxol and has covered the drum completely causing hearing difficulty.
You should further use waxol 4to 5 times and thanks get the ears cleaned.
Another thing to do is check the batteries for your hearing aids.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 24 hours later
Thanks,
An aunt of mine turned up bearing gifts and wrote down on a piece of paper to continue the waxsol drops, and get your ears syringed on Wednesday, so I did.

The damage is done and I can't uninstall that first Waxsol application now.
I should have started after Christmas but I didn't.

It's a problem with hearing Aids

Thanks for answering,
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Impact wax

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You should get the ears examined by an Ent specialist and get them cleaned if there is any wax.
I hope my advise proves helpful.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj