Suggest treatment for hearing loss in an elderly person

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, I'm 68 years old and today I had a weird thing happen to me, I was listening to my voice mail and I heard a woman call me XXXXXXX Later when I saw her I asked her why she called me XXXXXXX when my name is XXXXXXX she said she didn't do it, I played the voice mail for her and she insisted it said XXXXXXX When another person came to over, I asked her to listen and she also said that it said XXXXXXX I have listened to the voice mail several times and it sounds like XXXXXXX to me. I know I have some hearing loss, I was checked several years ago, but the Dr. said to wait on hearing aides. I also have tinnitis. I'm concerned about me hearing the wrong thing. thank you
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You would require further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your symptoms and you require further evaluation.

Hearing should be re-assessed.

In addition, we also need to assess the brain. This is because, whatever we hear, in order to register it and understand it better, brain is involved (temporal lobe of brain). This assessment can be done by MRI of brain.

There is no need to worry, as if any problem is identified, it can be treated.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D