Suggest treatment for headaches and neck pain after head injury

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My husband fell 4 days ago hit his head, he does not remember how he fell or what happened. He is having headaches neck pain, unable to sleep very well, Tylenol
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 minutes later
If he had not loose his consciousness then no need to worry.
Take analgesic and antacids.
Go for X-ray head and CT scan of brain once and get examined by physician.
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 14 minutes later
he thinks he blacked out.. he doesn't even know how he ended up in a chair. wasn't able to walk right away but was able to speak
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be evaluated further.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,
Thanks for the follow-up query.

Here,if your husband has become unconscious for while then it will require further evaluation to find out the cause.

I would like to ask some questions regarding medical history, any medications, any family history of heart problems, similar episode in the past etc.

The cause could be either vasovagal or neurogenic or cardiogenic but he will require certain tests to rule out the causes.

I would advice to go for ECG,blood pressure measurement in different positions,2D echo cardiography, blood electrolytes and CT brain to rule out any injury to head or ischemia as he fell down and hit his head.

Treatment will depend on the underlying cause.
So,it would be advisable to consult physician who will order all the necessary tests and can do thoroughly clinical examination.

Meanwhile he can take below treatment,

1) Maintain proper hydration and electrolyte balance by taking proper fluid intake throughout the day.

2) Positioning on the grounds with leg end elevation immediately whenever there is fainting spells.

3).You can bring analgesics tablet or gel available over the counter for pain relief.

Hope this answer would be helpful to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sandip Kabra