Suggest treatment for headaches and neck pain after head injury

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My husband fell 4 days ago hit his head, he does not remember how he fell or what happened. He is having headaches neck pain, unable to sleep very well, Tylenol
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 minutes later
If he had not loose his consciousness then no need to worry.
Take analgesic and antacids.
Go for X-ray head and CT scan of brain once and get examined by physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 14 minutes later
he thinks he blacked out.. he doesn't even know how he ended up in a chair. wasn't able to walk right away but was able to speak
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be evaluated further.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,
Thanks for the follow-up query.

Here,if your husband has become unconscious for while then it will require further evaluation to find out the cause.

I would like to ask some questions regarding medical history, any medications, any family history of heart problems, similar episode in the past etc.

The cause could be either vasovagal or neurogenic or cardiogenic but he will require certain tests to rule out the causes.

I would advice to go for ECG,blood pressure measurement in different positions,2D echo cardiography, blood electrolytes and CT brain to rule out any injury to head or ischemia as he fell down and hit his head.

Treatment will depend on the underlying cause.
So,it would be advisable to consult physician who will order all the necessary tests and can do thoroughly clinical examination.

Meanwhile he can take below treatment,

1) Maintain proper hydration and electrolyte balance by taking proper fluid intake throughout the day.

2) Positioning on the grounds with leg end elevation immediately whenever there is fainting spells.

3).You can bring analgesics tablet or gel available over the counter for pain relief.

Hope this answer would be helpful to you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Sandip Kabra

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3078 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

176 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction