Suggest treatment for headaches and ear pain

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: When I lay down at night if I sleep with my head on right side after a while a get bad headaches and ear pain or if I turn over at night. Only happens when sleep on right side if I swap over to left it gets better still sore from the headache but seems to get better.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Middle ear or sleep apnea related headaches.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Your condition seems a little unusual.

In my opinion, two are most probable conditions that can be related to these symptoms:

1- middle ear infection, sleeping on the affected side increases pressure into mastoid cells that are normally filled with air, causing this way ear and head pain.

2- positional headache related to sleep apnea, sleeping in a certain position worsens the brain supply with oxygen.

First, there is need for an ENT evaluation of the ears condition.

If no middle ear related headache, next step to evaluate your condition is a sleep study.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar