Suggest treatment for headache

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My sister in law has an ach on the top of her head. Not a headach inside but like a cap on the outside. It is soft to the touch and leaves an indentation when finger is removed. It hurts. No injury she can think of. Should she go to the emergency room? YYYY@YYYY XXXXXXX XXXX Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,I think you should send her to ER ASAP for immediate evaluation..

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry for the situation your sister in law is in.

As she is having pain on the outside of her head, and this part is soft and leaves an indentation when finger is removed, that is suggestive for edema. It needs immediate evaluation by neurologist/physician if no history of recent trauma.

To my opinion, you should send her to ER for immediate evaluation, to rule out possible edema and get it treated specifically as soon as possible.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
What is the possible treatment for edema and / or possible causes? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depending on the location of edema.....

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

First, we should make sure where the edema is laying: outer part of the scalp (from trauma? any scalp pathology? swollen lymph nodes?

Or if the edema is located in the inner side but is also shown on the outer side. That's why a thorough physical/neurological examination is recommended together with Ct-scan or MRI of the head.

If she experienced a recent trauma (within the last 72 hours) , cold compresses can help reduce the edema. After that, a thorough examination is required for further treatment.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana