Suggest treatment for headache while treating a sinus infection

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a burning pain sensation on the right side of my head when I eat or smile. It started the day after I began antibiotics for a sinus infection. It's just above my right ear and is extremely sensative to touch. The muscles on the right side don't feel more swollen compared to the left side but it almost feels like I was hit on the side of the head.
The day before this started I was also flying back from England to the U.S. and my right ear popped worse than usual with flying. I started azythromiacin that evening after being diagnosed with a sinus infection. I have a sore throat and sinus drainage but no dizziness.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This sounds like a TMJ problem

Detailed Answer:
Hello. This is typical of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) inflammation--the hinge joint that connects your jaw bone to your skull.

For now, ibuprofen can help as well as warm compresses to the area.

If it continues to be a problem for more than a few days, you may need a cortisone injection or a course of prednisone to relieve it.

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad