• question-icon

Suggest treatment for headache, pressure in the chest and wheezing

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 70 years old, have tightness in chest, wheezing and headache. My normal blood pressure is to be 120/75, today it is 195/88. Symptoms have been going on a couple weeks. Have a pulminoligst appointment in 6 days, but in the meantime, will a humidifier help?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

The wheezing could be caused by bronchial secretions, probably related to a chronic infection of the upper respiratory tract (bronchitis). A humidifier could help reduce the wheezing and chest tightness.

The headache could be caused by inflammation or a sinus infection.

But your blood pressure values are high too. I would recommend having some rest and taking a tablet of Captopril sublingually. High blood pressure can also cause headache and chest tightness. I would recommend avoiding physical activity as long as your blood pressure values are so high, because physical activity is known to raise blood pressure.

If these blood pressure persist, I would recommend going to the ER for a physical exam and some tests (complete blood count, fasting glucose, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests, etc.).

High blood pressure can lead to increased risk for stroke if not treated.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist