Suggest treatment for headache and pain in eyes

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 17 Sep 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Headache / pain in eyes everyday in the evening after around 5 pm and lasts till I go to sleep.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Refractive error and sinusitis need tobe ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed your history. It seems from the history that you are having headache and pain in the eyes in the evening.

This can be because of problems involving the eyes or the paranasal sinuses.

First I would like to rule out refractive error and asthenopic symptoms. This can be done by vision and refraction testing. Usually minimal refractive errors will cause maximum headache and eye pain because of asthenopic symptoms. Hence vision and refraction testing needs to be done to rule out this condition.

Frontal sinusitis usually presents with headache in the evening and this is called as office headache as it usually starts in the evening. Usually here you will have symptoms like recurrent cold, nose block...

As of now you can take analgesic tablet for pain relief and you need to consult optometrist or ophthalmologist for vision and refraction testing.
If this comes normal you need to consult ENT doctor for examination to rule out frontal sinusitis.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
To add to above conditions - my eyes get a little red and I feel sleepy too.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms can be because of refractive error.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

Redness of the eyes and feeling sleepy or tiredness are seen typically as a part of asthenopia as a result of refractive error.
Hence I advice you to consult your optometrist or ophthalmologist for examination to rule out refractive error.

Do write back to me for further questions.
Thank you
With regards