Suggest treatment for headache and high fever

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi My husband who is 64 years and usually very active is felling very tired and aching. On Friday he was sat in the sun for a while but did not notice any effects of the sun, but was feeling unusually tired on saturday with a headache. He said his forehead felt hard and a bit lumpy and had lump on back of his neck. He went to bed about 7:30 pm and slept through until 1.30pm on sunday (never been known to do this) he only woke inbetween for an hr to go to toliet and have a drink. When he woke on Sunday he had a very high temperature and took paracetamol. He felt sick and had a upset stomach, but was not hungry and not eating much. On Monday he felt a bit better in his self but forehead very swollen and red and progressed to his eyes eyes swelling and his neck felt stiff. Still taking paracetamol but also taking piriton now. He went to docs who said he probably had a bug or maybe it was the sun and just to rest and drink water. His blood pressure was ok. Also to come back in three days if not better. It is now Wednesday forehead and eyes still swollen, a cold sore developed on his lip and although he was feeling not too bad this morning, he is now very tired and shivery. Is there anything else to recommend and should he wait until Friday to see someone? thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your husband needs to see a doctor asap

Detailed Answer:
Hello Diane,

thanks for the query. i have taken time to go through the history of your husband's complaint with keen attention and i will make some contribution.

I think your husband is sick and needs to see a doctor soon without waiting until Friday. High fever and or shivering are indicators of an infectious problem and the persistent nature makes it even more severe. The swellings are likely due to the underlying infection which could have spread to his meninges ( causing meningitis) reason while he is having a stiff neck.

Workups such as full blood count, examination of cerobrospinal fluid, Blood culture etc. are needed to have an idea of what he is sick of after a clinical examination has been done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to answer.
Best regards
Dr Achuo

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Achuo Ascensius 28 minutes later
My husband said his neck is not stiff now and he is feeling better than he was... although I have just taken his temperature and it is 39 and the swelling on his face is still there, but he is not shivery now, just tired. I have just given him paracetamol to take his temperature down ... he says that will help and has gone to bed.. and said will see a doctor tomorrow ... do you think ok to wait to the morning? thank you
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fever of 39 is something to worry about

Detailed Answer:
thanks once more for the query,

It is good to know he does not have a stiff neck now. But the fact that he had it a point in time is still an issue to consider seriously. With a fever of 39, there is definitely an infection somewhere.

Paracetamol will bring down the temperature but will not cure the underlying cause. Adults can be a little more tolerant. If he must see a doctor only tomorrow, let him take more fluids as he waits. but if he could go to the ER sooner, the better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to respond. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the respond.

Wishing your husband a prompt recovery
Dr Achuo