• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hard and bloated abdomen

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have the c-diff I have been eating when am I going to have a bowel movement for the food i have been eating-- Right now I have a little mush thats the c-diff. My stomach is bloated and hard
Answered by Dr. Sunil 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start taking probiotics daily.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query,

As you digest food, digestive gases are formed as a result of fermentation and digestion of food which can also collect..

The pathophysiology of gas and flatulence is complicated. Understanding gut microflora, gas production, intestinal transit, intestinal propulsion of gas, and sensory function within the GI tract are essential for understanding symptom generation.The term gut microflora or microbiota means hundreds of species of bacteria which live in our intestinal tract. These bacterias and yeast are responsible for proper digestion and fermentation of food. Hundreds of species of bacteria and yeast are found in the colon of the human intestine.

In the same way, thousands of these species flourish in our gut these bacteria play a vital role in digestion and absorption of food. Even minor disturbances in gut microflora can lead to significant changes in gut function, including gas production.

There are various mechanisms that can be related to increased flatulence bloating etc.

If this microbiota is disturbed food is improperly fermented causing the production of a lot of gases in the gut leading to severe bloating ad belching. Hence most common cause in most of the cases is disturbed microbiota. In elderly patients, the mobility of intestines gets compromised leading to accumulation of a lot of gases in intestines. As peristaltic moments get weak, gas accumulates in intestines.

Severe constipation or incomplete evacuation can also hinder the passage of gases.

-Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth can be a reason of severe flatulence.
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria are present in the small intestine, and the types of bacteria in the small intestine resemble more the bacteria of the colon than the small intestines causing improper and disturbed food digestion.

Tests suggested-
Small bowel imaging and a gastric-emptying scan.

Hope I answered your query with relevant details. I have included pathophysiological details also so that you can understand things better.

In case you need any other professional advice feel free to ask.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 14 minutes later
I nedd you to speak in terms that i can relate to
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.
Hi dear,
Easy explaination is your digestive system consists of a number of good bacteria's termed medically as gut flora.
The work of these good bacterias is to ferment and digest food properly.When due to infection or medicines this flora is disturbed fermentation is incomplete leading to formation of large amount of toxic gases in stomach causing severe bloating .This gas formed preses the surrounding abdominal tissues in intestines causing pain and heaviness.
So once you replete these good and stomach friendly bacteria's you would be fine.

Therefore therapy with probiotics should be taken as probiotics restores the good intestinal flora.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist