Suggest treatment for hand muscle atrophy

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I'm noticing a sink area on the side of my palm - right hand... my blood pressure has been up for the last couple of days, taking meds. Is this a symptom of something serious?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle atrophy seems likely; need more information, speak to your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. It appears as though, from your description (although cannot be sure without a physical examination) that there could be some muscle atrophy in the region described by you.

I have a few more questions to better understand the possible cause, they are:

+Do you have any trembling or tremors in your hand?
+Difficulty in holding things with that hand?
+Can you button or unbutton your shirt? Or you feel some amount of difficulty or resistance?

Muscle atrophy is a common side effect of various medications, and so I would like you to run through your medications with your prescribing doctor to make sure muscle atrophy is not one of the possible side effects; and if it is then please discuss substituting those medications that can possibly cause muscle atrophy with safer ones.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later
thank you... i looked up muscle atrophy... i dont have a permanent sink... this is a pounding or throbbing sink that is visible for a few seconds and returns again. it lasted for about 4-5 minutes. i also feel a tightening in my upper right arm, back side near the elbow.

i have taken blood pressure meds for today. Not sure if it is stress or something else???
please advise
as to your earlier questions... i have no problems with tremors or buttoning my shirt.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Then there is nothing much to worry about, but better get checked still

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

If the sink is not permanent and you are not experiencing any debilitation with your fine movements, there should be nothing to worry about. However, I would still be much more comfortable if you can visit your physician about the same and also ask for a neurologist opinion, just to make sure we rule my worries out completely and so you can continue to live a comfortable and healthy life.

Please also do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.