Suggest treatment for hair loss

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Hair Loss
Question: I am undergoing through a lot of hair loss which is uncommon at my stage .Its genetic but usually it happens after 30-35 years . Can there be any solution to this .
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See a dermatologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Genetic hair loss begins in the 20s and 30s. For this condition, medicines that are prescribed can affect the male hormones. The usual medicines prescribed are minoxidil and finasteride. These are both available for oral consumption. Minoxidil is also available as lotion, in which case it may not affect the hormones. The affect may be lost when you discontinue the medicine.

If you are sure that it is genetic, then minoxidil 5% lotion to be applied at the bald area will be helpful. Biotin tablets are also recommended.

These medicines are to be taken under supervision of a dermatologist. Thus I will recommend that you see a dermatologist.

Dr Vaishalee

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari