Suggest treatment for hair loss

Question
I am 27 years old. Am losing hair since last few weeks, had really good hair for the 6 month period before that. It has suddenly gone limp and turns greasy and lifeless the next day after I wash my hair. Have been taking Androanagen tabs for the last 3 weeks as prescribed by a skin specialist. Have been taking amla powder for more than 6 months. I end up washing my hair more than thrice a week and it only makes things worse. I maintain a very healthy vegetarian diet. Could you please help me with this condition.
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antifungals will be effective.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have carefully read your query and understand your concern.

As per your clinical history,the most likely cause of hairfall in your case is "seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp in my opinion.

This is a fungal infection of the scalp,quite common in the general population.

This can lead to greasy scalp with lusterless hair with a rapid onset of hairfall.

I strongly recommend anti fungals like tab terbinafine 250 mg once a day for 6 weeks. Ketoconazole 2% shampoos when simultaneously used gives excellent results.

Consult your treating doctor with regard to these drugs.

You can complete the remaining course of androanagen tabs as per your doctor's prescription.

These tabs provide rich source of amino acids needed for hair growth.

I also advice you to get tested for your thyroid hormone levels as hypothyroidism is one of the most common causes of unrecognized loss of scalp hair in your age group.

I strongly recommend you to take protein rich foods like eggs,fish and soya beans along with iron rich foods like spinach.

I hope this info is helpful to you,
Thank you,