Suggest treatment for hair loss

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
hi i am 22 and suffering from hair loss for past 5-6 years ... i have lost most of my hair in front. i recently a doctor suggested me to use hairbless topical solution and tablets. is it the right medication ? will it improve my condition ? can it regrow my hair back ? and since it contains minoxidil so will my regrown hair fall again after stopping its use ?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Androgenetic Alopecia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it

I would keep a possibility of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Androgenetic alopecia(AGA) is the commonest type of hair loss in males. By the age of 30 almost 30% of males have this kind of hair loss and by the age of 50 almost 50% of males have this kind of hair loss.

Thinning and receding hair line in males is classical of Male pattern Androgenetic Alopecia (MAGA) also simply known as Androgenetic alopecia.

Scalp hairs are genetically programmed for progressive thinning under the influence of hormones (Testosterone).

Hair loss has a pattern to it in these kinds of hair loss e.g Teens usually have some Temporal recession which is then followed by deepening of Temporal recession (the earliest stage of Male Hair Loss) leading further to early hair loss in the crown (vertex) and later to further frontal hair loss and enlargement of vertex and so on... By this time people usually become concerned about their receding hair line.

Although family history is positive in most but it is not a prerequisite for immediate family members (father and brother) to be affected with this type of hair loss. Affected family members on the maternal or paternal side(cousins) also suggest that there is a hereditary component.

Treatment modalities include Topical Minoxodil 5%(Mintop Forte OR Hairbless) and oral finasteride (Finax 1mg tablet). There are well controlled trials and US FDA approval for them for this kind of hair loss in males.

Treatment of Male pattern hair loss is long term but gives good results if started at an early stage so that hair loss is not allowed to progress any further (any new hair that grows with this therapy is complementary). Therefore it is imperative that you begin therapy as soon as possible so that your hair fall can be arrested before its too late. The goal of treatment is to stop further progression and if the hair loss is not of long standing duration, regrowth can also be expected. However, you need to religiously follow the prescription for at 4-6 months before any noticeable improvement

Treatment is lifelong. If you stop using minoxidil and finasteride you will again start losing hair.

Hope this helps. I am here to help you with any further clarifications

regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hair loss 6 hours later
i have heard that after stopping the use of minoxidil all the hair falls within 2 months . so that means if i start it, i'll have to use it for the rest of my life even if it doesn't improve my condition. is it so ?
can i keep the regrown hair by by withdrawing minoxidil and using natural hair .

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Finasteride should be continued life long

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

It is not like that. Minoxidil is a non-specific hair growth promoter and regular use would regrow new hair. It works best when combined with oral finasteride which is an antiandrogen and specifically targets the mechanism behind miniaturisation of hair follicles over the frontal and crown part of the scalp.

You should use both of them simultaneously at least for an year and if you decide to stop minoxidil somewhere down the line, you may discontinue, but I would suggest you to continue with Finasteride tablet for the rest of your life. Finasteride alone would be sufficient to maintain the regrown hair and slow down the progression of androgenetic alopecia.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hair loss 2 hours later
how about hairbless tablets instead of finesteride? because i have read that finastride has major side effects like erectile disfunction and impotency. is there any other solution apart from this and hair transplant that could provide the same result .. is there any ayurvedic medicine for this ? i am very desperate to get my hair back but at the same time i dont have enough money for hair transplant and courage to be dependent on minoxidil and finasteride for the rest of my life. please help !!!

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Saw palmetto may be the solution for you

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Androanagen tablets contain Saw-Palmetto extract as the main active ingredient. It is plant derived and is promoted as an alternative to Finasteride (5 alpha reductase inhibitor) in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia. While Finasteride can have side effects like decreased sexual drive and loss of libido in 1-2 % of patients, the main advantage of Androanagen is that it is as effective as Finasteride but devoid of the side effects of Finasteride.

Hairbless tablets are basically vitamin and aminoacid supplements. Though they have no direct/specific role in Androgenetic alopecia per se, but they supplement hair growth. You can take hairbless together with either finasteride or saw palmetto extract.

Besides Androanagen, Minoxidil 5% solution (Mintop forte solution) is also recommended to be applied at the scalp skin (1 ml morning and 1 ml evening). Minoxidil is a non-specific hair growth promoter and is approved for treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia along with either Finasteride OR Androanagen.

A ketoconazole based shampoo (Nizral 2%) completes the treatment armamentarium for Androgenetic alopecia. Nizral 2% solution is marketed by Johnsons &Johnsons in XXXXXXX Ketoconazole exerts a local antiandrogen effect on the scalp skin and thus is claimed to be beneficial along with Minoxidil and Androanagen/Finasteride.