Suggest treatment for hair loss on the crown of the head

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been using simvastatin for 8 weeks and have experienced major hair loss on the crown of my head, I have discontinued the past 10 days, what do I need to stimulate hair growth? Could this drugalso have an effect on my thyroid? How long for hair to come back?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It would be progressive over months!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this hair loss that you have reported. For sure it is most likely related to this drug. Having stopped it, it would stop further hair loss but hair growth would be progressive and may require weeks or month in order to catch up with the normal rhythm and hair density as before.

There is no point to get a stimulant at this time. Since the drug is the principal culprit, discontinuation is enough and time would restore growth. This drug has no known side effect on the thyroid.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.