Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for hair loss in men

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7460 Questions
Suggest any hairloss treatment.
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair loss.

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Hair loss in males is most commonly due to Androgenetic Alopecia, also known as male pattern hair loss. It is characterized by gradually progressive hair loss and hair thinning mainly from the frontal scalp as well as from the mid scalp and vertex part. There is also associated recession of anterior hair line in androgenetic alopecia which takes an M-shape appearance manifesting as a broad forehead. Predisposition to hair thinning in androgenetic alopecia is genetic and is influenced by dihydrotestosterone which is derived from testosterone i.e is male hormone dependent.
Minoxidil 5% solution and oral finasteride are US FDA approved remedies for androgenetic alopecia in males. Treatment of androgenetic alopecia is long term and the goal of treatment is to arrest further progression.
I request you to kindly let me know whether your hair loss is similar to androgenetic alopecia?
Is there a family history?
I also request you to kindly upload a few images of the scalp in "Reports Section" that depict the pattern and severity of your problem

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hair loss in men 19 minutes later
Yes sir. It must be because of androgenetic alopecia. There's no hair issues in my family. Everybody has got good and thick hair.
As you can see the images showing my forehead is getting broader day by day.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minoxidil 5 %solution and oral finasteride.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have reviewed the images.

Yes. You seem to have androgenetic alopecia.

I suggest you use Minoxidil 5% solution, 1ml, twice daily. In addition, I suggest you take tab. Finasteride 1mg, once daily.

These are prescription medications and I request you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor