Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for hair loss and to improve hair growth

Answered by
Dr. Kakkar S.


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 8409 Questions

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
My hairs are falling, however i see new small hairs growing. Can you pl suggest some medicine or oil to control hair falling and faster growth.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Topical minoxidil 5% solution and Oral Finasteride tablets

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

Androgenetic alopecia is the most common cause of hair loss in males. By the age of 30 almost 30% of males have androgenetic alopecia and by the age of 50 50% will have androgenetic alpopecia.

In androgenetic alopecia, hair loss and thinning (miniaturisation) happens in a pattern. Thinning and hair loss mainly affects the center part of scalp i.e front, mid and vertex portion. Anterior hair line gradually recedes backwards and is accompanied by gradual widening and deepening of angles of anterior hair line.

Diagnosis of androgenetic alopecia is obvious by clinical examination and it would be possible for me to diagnose on Images. Therefore I request you to kindly upload an Image so that I am able to confirm the diagnosis. You may upload an Image either at "Reports Section" Or You may mail me at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of this mail as attention:Dr.Kakkar

There is usually a family history of early baldness in other family members e.g father, brother or maternal/ paternal cousins.

This type of hair fall can start any time after puberty though most of the patients get concerned in there 20's and 30's when it it has progressed.

Minoxidil 5% solution and finasteride tablets, are approved remedies for this type of hair loss in males. Minoxidil is to be used twice daily, at the scalp skin, in 1 ml quantity, with the help of a dropper.
Goal of medical treatment is to prevent progression of hair fall and reverse early hair loss and therefore earlier the therapy is initiated better the long term outcome. Treatment is long term.

These are prescription medications and should be used under supervision of a dermatologist and I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your region for the needful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Puberty

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a somewhat embarrassing puberty question. I'm 16 and male, I started puberty a little late but now I'm at an average adult height, I have plenty of hair, and at my last checkup about 9 months ago, my doctor seemed content with the size of my testicles. The only issue is I cannot ejaculate. Am I just late? Or is something wrong?

doctor1 MD

My nine year old son has red rings in his armpits. The skin is irritated and raised in a circle, but not itchy. The middle of the ring is white. We seem to have noticed he has started having smelly armpits too. Could it be related to hormones and pre puberty? Thank you

doctor1 MD

I am 14 and i think my penis is to small, i also think that i do not have much pubic/under arm hair. Another major problem is that when i ejaculate, very little semen comes out and it is relatively clear. Is because of the low sperm count? If so, will these problems be solved as a go through with puberty?

doctor1 MD

Hi, im a guy. I am 5 feet and seven inches, I way 154 pounds.
I just turned 15 in March and I'm worrying about my penis size. I have lots of pubic hair, armpit hair, leg hair, thigh hair and I need to shave every 3 days so I don't get that scruffy beard look. My penis size hasn't increased anymore than 1cm in the past four years (thats when I started puberty). My penis is 5-5.2 inches long with about a 4 inch girth/circumference. Will my penis grow anymore, or am I stuck at my size right now?

doctor1 MD

Can you get a zit in your nipple? Because I did!!! I didn't know you could get one there. It was the size of a marble and when I squeezed it tons of puss came out.. But it was my nipple!!!!!!!!!

doctor1 MD

Symptoms continual sinus drainage , repeated blowing nose, coughing up phlegm , causing irritated throat, heat and pressure behind the eyes, constant dry to weepy eye and with heat behind and excessive mucus . Headaches and nausea. Strain on vocal...

doctor1 MD

I haven’t been getting morning woods since last Sunday, I don’t get random boners anymore, I have to focus so hard for me to get a boner and it barely even lasts, this all happened after last week when I came back from a night of heavy smoking and...