Suggest treatment for hair loss and to improve hair growth

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
My hairs are falling, however i see new small hairs growing. Can you pl suggest some medicine or oil to control hair falling and faster growth.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Topical minoxidil 5% solution and Oral Finasteride tablets

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

Androgenetic alopecia is the most common cause of hair loss in males. By the age of 30 almost 30% of males have androgenetic alopecia and by the age of 50 50% will have androgenetic alpopecia.

In androgenetic alopecia, hair loss and thinning (miniaturisation) happens in a pattern. Thinning and hair loss mainly affects the center part of scalp i.e front, mid and vertex portion. Anterior hair line gradually recedes backwards and is accompanied by gradual widening and deepening of angles of anterior hair line.

Diagnosis of androgenetic alopecia is obvious by clinical examination and it would be possible for me to diagnose on Images. Therefore I request you to kindly upload an Image so that I am able to confirm the diagnosis. You may upload an Image either at "Reports Section" Or You may mail me at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of this mail as attention:Dr.Kakkar

There is usually a family history of early baldness in other family members e.g father, brother or maternal/ paternal cousins.

This type of hair fall can start any time after puberty though most of the patients get concerned in there 20's and 30's when it it has progressed.

Minoxidil 5% solution and finasteride tablets, are approved remedies for this type of hair loss in males. Minoxidil is to be used twice daily, at the scalp skin, in 1 ml quantity, with the help of a dropper.
Goal of medical treatment is to prevent progression of hair fall and reverse early hair loss and therefore earlier the therapy is initiated better the long term outcome. Treatment is long term.

These are prescription medications and should be used under supervision of a dermatologist and I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your region for the needful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj