Suggest treatment for hair loss and poor weight gain while breastfeeding

Ayurveda Specialist
Question
Of late my wife (29 yrs, Weight=49 kgs, Height=5'5") is loosing hair and is a little bit skinny. What can she do to stop hair loss and gain some weight.

Note: Currently she is breastfeeding 1 year old baby (Normal deliver)
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Ayurveda

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
further necessary information

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting the Ayurveda section of [A]YUSH and after going through the case history, I'm of the following opinion:

i. check with her thyroid level since it can be an underlying cause of weight and hair loss.
PS. Is her menstrual cycle normal?
ii. Any undue physical/mental/emotional STRESS since can trigger unintentional weight and temporary hair loss?
iii. Pregnancy/childbirth can cause hormonal changes and imbalance and can cause temporary hair loss. [present]
iv. Have you taken an opinion of a Trichologist/medicine specialist
PS. CBC [complete blood count], along with Vitamin D level is necessary.
v. please revert back with your questionnaire/clarifications, till then:

- Soap nut (reetha) and shikakai along with Bhringraj and Neelini oil act as a natural conditioner, you can use it safely.

PS. Vitamin B3, Niacin, C and minerals like Iron and Zinc are hair nutrients which help nourish healthy and longer hair, If interested I do prepare "Bhringneelini" oil which contains all the essential vitamins/minerals along with Vitamin E and can courier you the same.

vi. As she is breastfeeding, thus regarding weight gain:

. Take protein rich diet: legumes, sprouted pulses/cereals, milk with protein
. Take vitamin A, B, C, E in the diet which helps in strengthening the immune system.
. Principle is to have well-balanced diet with more of proteins and more Calories with exercise, take more of cereals, legumes, daal, egg, and eat fresh fruits regularly with sweet pulp like (banana, XXXXXXX chickoos, and grapes)
. Take banana, black grapes, orange, spinach, ginger, tomatoes, curd, take diet rich in vitamin C (Citrus fruits) and vitamin E (sunflower seeds, almonds, apricots, peanuts) which are rich in antioxidants and thus helps in improvement of Thymus function (associated with Immunity.)
. Eat a mixture of amla powder ½ spoons with 4 spoons of honey.

DAILY REGIME:
i. Don’t skip breakfast:Take your lunch between 12 -1 PM which is the peak period of Pitta (responsible for digestion)have your dinner 2 hours before sleeping.
ii. Make sure you do not travel, do strenuous exercise, or indulge in sexual activities within one hour after meal
iii. Proper sleep with proper diet is the key to healthy living in Ayurveda.
iv. Avoid smoking, alcohol, caffeine, eating late at night, stress, and drink water instead of colas.
v. Practice Yoga, Meditation and go for an exercise regime.
vi. Walk a while after a meal to help digestion.

PS. I do prepare medicine which is given to lactating mothers and helps in improving milk production and gaining weight, so do let me know if you want to purchase the oil and the medicine.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika