Suggest treatment for hair loss and crusty flaky scalp

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am 84. I have been losing hair for about 5yrs. (I had very thick hair). I was told it was from stress while caring for my late husband.azole. I treated it at home w/OTC products, Hairmax, etc. Last Aug, I went to a dermatologist who prescribed Ketoconazole Shampoo 2%. My scalp became covered w/crusty flakes. He then prescribed Clobetasol Prop .05% Sol to apply every night. No improvement. I changed MD's. The new MD took a biopsy. After results were in he gave me a sample of Clodan. This has not helped. I'm due to see him next week. My hair is still falling out. I couldn't match my symptoms to any condition. Help please.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Flucinolone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Probably you have developed seborrhea of scalp.
I treat such cases with a mild steroid containing shmpoo like flucinolone.
Use this shampoo regularly for a month.
Tke biotin tablet daily for 3 mnths.
This will help in controlling hair fall.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thenk you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 15 hours later
Re: BIOTIN - I have been taking a B-Complex providing 30mcg and an ocular supplement containing 200mcg daily for several years. How much do I need?
Re: Shampoo -The shampoos/solutions containing steroids that I've used in the past were limited to 2 week applications. The last was CLOBETASOL on XXXXXXX 7.
How often during the 1 month period would I use the Flucinolone shampoo?

I don't have itching or pain. When I run my fingers through my hair, close to the scalp, it feels like little stiff flaps attached at one end, and lifted by my fingers at the other. On some occasions, 4 or 5 strands of hair have come out in a group, held together by one of these segments located about 1/4" from the root side. I assume that the tissue broke away from the scalp as the hair continued to grow.

I will be seeing my dermatologist this week. I assume I will need a Rx. Any other suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use flucinolone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Flucinolone is a mild steroid.
unlike other steroids which you have used earlier Flucinolone can be used daily as a regular shampoo.
It is effective and safe.
It might take around 15 days to get response.
Let me know what your dermatologist advices you.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 days later
I saw my MD today and asked about flucinolone. He said this was a much weaker product than Clodan. He prescribed Clodan 2x per day for I month.
Brief Answer:
Use clodan for a month

Detailed Answer:
Hello
You can use clodan for a month and after that use flucinolone on a regular basis.
Clodan cannot be used permanently.
Flucinolone will prevent re appearance of the lesions.
Thank you.