Suggest treatment for hair follicle inflammation

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: This is right below my belt line. The thing has a solid base and a soft center filled with pus. Like a crater almost. When popped there is pus and blood
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hair follicle inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This definitely looks like hair follicle inflammation. There might be ingrown hair in the redness area. As this has been already drained (you have made it pop), it may get well by its own. Please have it under observation. Wash it with water and soap and make this area dry and clean. If this wont get better in a day or two, please consult a surgeon. Some incision and pus drainage might be necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Thats what i figured. Ive been getting these for a while now. Is there a way to make them stop coming back?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
First of all, it is good to determine which bacteria is causing it. To do that, swab test should be done from evacuated pus (this lump is drained so most likely swab test can not be taken from it, but it can be taken from another one). If you will find the factor, proper antibiotic can help with bacteria eradication.
If you do shave this area, please try to use sterile shavers.
If you use any deodorants or lotions in this area, try to change the to more natural (less artificial ingredients, lower risk of inflammation).
Try to have it dry and clean - water with soap is the best way to do that.
Try to do not wear tight underwear - more air and less irritation should lower the risk as well.

Hope this will help.
Regards.