Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for hair follicle inflammation

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
This is right below my belt line. The thing has a solid base and a soft center filled with pus. Like a crater almost. When popped there is pus and blood
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hair follicle inflammation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

This definitely looks like hair follicle inflammation. There might be ingrown hair in the redness area. As this has been already drained (you have made it pop), it may get well by its own. Please have it under observation. Wash it with water and soap and make this area dry and clean. If this wont get better in a day or two, please consult a surgeon. Some incision and pus drainage might be necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hair follicle inflammation 3 minutes later
Thats what i figured. Ive been getting these for a while now. Is there a way to make them stop coming back?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
First of all, it is good to determine which bacteria is causing it. To do that, swab test should be done from evacuated pus (this lump is drained so most likely swab test can not be taken from it, but it can be taken from another one). If you will find the factor, proper antibiotic can help with bacteria eradication.
If you do shave this area, please try to use sterile shavers.
If you use any deodorants or lotions in this area, try to change the to more natural (less artificial ingredients, lower risk of inflammation).
Try to have it dry and clean - water with soap is the best way to do that.
Try to do not wear tight underwear - more air and less irritation should lower the risk as well.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor