Suggest treatment for hair follicle infection on belt line

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have an ingrown hair right on my belt line. It has been there for about 2-3 weeks. It it infected(but the signs of infection have waxed and waned), and I have picked at it daily as it is a big annoyance. I would guess it to be 1 CM across. It just doesn't seem to go away as I haven't gotten the hair out of it. What should I do next? It has now cracked open. Biggest concern of mine is Staph(MRSA).
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Povidone iodine, sterile dressing / Diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thanks for your query, proper history and photograph.

Have you checked your blood sugar?

This looks to be a carbuncle by its appearance in the picture you have provided and due to constant irritation it is not healing.

Stap MRSA are not always resistant to all antibiotics and has not spread locally or to nearby area.

You may get early recovery and I would suggest you the following:
Stop Peroxide and Neosporin. Apply liquid povidone iodine to the lesion and al the area around it, apply a sterile ready-made dressing so that the picking is not possible and it gets sufficient rest to get healed.
Take an appropriate antibiotics as advised by your Doctor.
This may show positive results within a few days, if yes- continue this way only.

If Diabetes is diagnosed , get treated for this too.
Another option is to ask your Doctor to get this excised and put a few stitches. This is a bit of sure-shot treatment. Get the removed part examined by histo-pathology examination.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj