Suggest treatment for hair fall

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I am 45 yr old have lots of hair fall Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid problem/stress/anemia may be the cause Detailed Answer: Hi Ms XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. From the brief information provided, the commonest causes of excessive hair loss at you age are :- * Thyroid problem (hypothyroidism) which manifests as fatigue, lethargy, weight gain, dry skin, mood changes, menstrual problems, altered bowel habit. * Seborrheic dermatitis (severe dandruff) * Extreme mental/physical stress * Serious illness in the recent past * Infection, particularly fungal, of the hair roots * Allergy to hair-dyes, oils, shampoos or any other chemical lotions * Severe anaemia * Polycystic ovarian syndrome * Scalp conditions like psoriasis or autoimmune diseases I would therefore recommend the following course of action :- 1. First, get your blood tests done for Hemoglobin, CBC for anemia (if present). If found anemic, regular intake of iron + folic acid + Vitamin B12 till your anemia is completely corrected, will be of significant help. 2. Thyroid hormone profile - to rule out/confirm thyroid problem. If hypothyroidism is diagnosed, replacement therapy with thyroid hormone (thyroxin) will drastically reduce hair fall, and ultimately stop hair fall all together. 3. Stop using shampoos, hair-dyes, oils or any other scalp chemical being used, as you may be allergic to one of them. 3. If you have severe dandruff, grossly itchy scalp or lesions on the scalp, consult a dermatologist who will examine the hair roots with a magnifying glass, take a scraping of the scalp, analyze it for evidence of seborrheic dermatitis, fungal infection and psoriasis. Depending on the findings of the reports, he will prescribe appropriate treatment. 4. If you under mental stress/anxiety/depression, consult your doctor, who will prescribe a combination of anti-depressant + anti-anxiety drugs, which will completely ease your mental stress. I am sure that, with the above mentioned course of action, your problem will be resolved. Hope you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to help you in case of further queries, if any. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal