Suggest treatment for hair fall

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 1 Oct 2014 in Hair Loss
Question: hi doc, am loosing a lot of hair these days and hair line receding ,i hv lost 10 kgs weight and take 100mg thyronorm.am 43 years of age ,5.3 weighing 59kg,female pl suggest, shod i take biotin or follihair and what is d right dosage.thx
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you could be having telogen effluvium

Detailed Answer:
From the description provided, you could be having telogen effluvium. It is an acute and diffuse type of hair fall in response to stress, weight loss, nutritional deficiency or disorders like anemia or thyroid disease.
In such cases, we advise the patient
to correct underlying disorder.
Take a good hair supplement once daily like keraglow eva/follihair new/adgain once daily
Apply 2 percent minoxidil 1ml twice in a day
Take a good well balanced,nutritious meal rich in milk, soy,cheese, lean meats,eggs, nuts, fruits and green vegetables on daily basis.

I would like to know
since how long are you having this hair fall
If the hair fall has been gradual or acute
If its diffuse or if your hair parting has become broad.
If the hair that sheds off has a root( club shaped white end) attached to it.
Also please upload a pic of your scalp showing areas of hair fall.

Answering these queries would hep me in ruling out possibilty of androgenetic alopecia which could also be the cause of receding hair line.
Hope this helped.

Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 hours later
Thank doc,
have been having the hair fall acutely for the last 3 months though gradually they fall every year but this time has been too much during this change of season.dont think the hair that fall have a root attached.when i comb my hair whether dry or wet ,they fall of with combing.have been using mythic oil ,loreal shampoo which suits my hair for a year now though have always had frizzy hair.have started taking follihair from today, hope it does not lead to a weight gain.
thx
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
follihair wont cause weight gain

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing the details.
You could be having telogen effluvium.
It is a reversible and acute onset hair fall. It occurs usually due to stress, chronic illness or nutritional deficiency.
I would advise that you start
Oral hair supplement like follihair new once daily
Apply minoxidil 2 percent 1ml twice daily.
Oil your hair twice weekly
Oral hair supplement wont cause weight gain.
hope this helped.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj