Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for hair fall due to B-12 deficiency

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7388 Questions
Hi ,

From Last Two years I have been facing the problem of hair fall (receding hair line from front and hair thining on top of scalp). However, i have started paying attention to this in last 2 months.

For this, I have consulted doctors and based on thier feedback, I have gone for some medical tests mentioned below. Based on these tests, doctor told me that it because of Vitamin B-12 deficiency and advised me to take biotin tablets.

I am consuming these tablets from last 1 month but it shown no effect till now. Can you please provide your valuable opinion in this reagard. I have attached the results of medical tests below:

1) Serum FERRITIN (ECLIA) 3.1 ng/mL
2) Serum TSH (ECLIA) 4.530 micIU/mL
3) Serum VITAMIN B-12 (ECLIA) 163.2 pg/mL
4) Serum FOLIC ACID (ECLIA) 9.0 ng/mL
5) WBC Count (TC) 7570 /
6) RBC Count 5.3 million/
7) Haemoglobin 15.1 g/dl
8) Platelet Count 223000 /
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Androgenetic Alopecia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

I would keep a possibility of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Androgenetic alopecia(AGA) is the commonest type of hair loss in males. By the age of 30 almost 30% of males have this kind of hair loss and by the age of 50 almost 50% of males have this kind of hair loss.

Thinning and receding hair line in males is classical of Male pattern Androgenetic Alopecia (MAGA) also simply known as Androgenetic alopecia.

Scalp hairs are genetically programmed for progressive thinning under the influence of hormones (Testosterone).

Hair loss has a pattern to it in these kinds of hair loss e.g Teens usually have some Temporal recession which is then followed by deepening of Temporal recession (the earliest stage of Male Hair Loss) leading further to early hair loss in the crown (vertex) and later to further frontal hair loss and enlargement of vertex and so on... By this time people usually become concerned about their receding hair line.

Although family history is positive in most but it is not a prerequisite for immediate family members (father and brother) to be affected with this type of hair loss. Affected family members on the maternal or paternal side(cousins) also suggest that there is a hereditary component.

Treatment modalities include Topical Minoxodil 5%(Mintop Forte) and oral finasteride (Finax 1mg tablet). There are well controlled trials and US FDA approval for them for this kind of hair loss in males.

Treatment of Male pattern hair loss is long term but gives good results if started at an early stage so that hair loss is not allowed to progress any further (any new hair that grows with this therapy is complementary). Therefore it is imperative that you begin therapy as soon as possible so that your hair fall can be arrested before its too late.

Hope this helps. I am here to help you with any further clarifications

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hair fall due to B-12 deficiency 16 hours later
Thanks Sir. But do my reports indicate of any iron deficiency (especially ferritin) or these levels are fine??
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low serum ferritin

Detailed Answer:

Normal levels are between 12-300 ng/dl. Therefore your levels are low, indicating deficient iron stores. You can take an iron supplement once daily for 4-6 months.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor