Suggest treatment for gum abscess

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: In so much pain from gum abscess around tooth. Got antibioic from er cause i don't see dentist till monday. The swelling on my face gone. Wondering if i should try to get some of pus out but don't know . What i can do . I can't feel like this till monday.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Incision and drainage can be done..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTH CARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain if the swelling from the abscess is gone now, then you need not to worry as the infection and pus is reducing because you are taking antibiotics..

Although if there is still some swelling or pus discharge is present through the gum then a small Incision can be made through the gum and pus can be drained out.

But it is not a common practice as the tooth related infection and abscess is treated with Root Canal treatment commonly..

However need a Dentist to do the job of Incision and Drainage too..
But you can consult a General Surgeon and get evaluated since you can't see the Dentist till Monday..

But my suggestion is that you can do warm saline gargles and also antiseptic mouthwash gargles..
If there is pain you can take painkiller like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc to relieve moderate pain while Ketorolac or Tramadol for severe pain..
Along with it take Serratiopeptidases..
Do cool compresses over the cheek..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 18 hours later
Can you go to er doctocr and have them drain it
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult and discuss..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

Yes, you can consult an Emergency service and get evaluated and in case of severe swelling and pus they can drain it off..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj