question-icon

Suggest treatment for growth on right tonsil

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015
Question: My girlfriend developed this 3 days again and is freaking out. It appears to be on the tonsils. she very rarely smokes, maybe 2 years total worth. She says it doesn't hurt it's just bothersome due to the location.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you for your query.

1. There is no cause for worry.

2. The growth on the right tonsil is of the same color of the tonsil and slightly congested. This seems to be a benign lesion, most probably a tag of tonsil tissue, a Tonsillolith or a cyst.

3. Food debris trapped in a tonsillar crypt can cause such a reaction.

4. Since this has a very small area of attachment at the base, removing it with a cautery or coblation will be a simple procedure. It can then be sent for histopath examination.

5. There is no need to rush into an appointment unless it pains or bleeds.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist