Suggest treatment for growing ulcer on the tongue

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello, my 13 yr old son had tongue surgery done last December on front left side of tongue to remove growth which was bothering him. Biopsy came back negative. Today he mentioned growth bothering him which he noticed today. It's like one elongated spikey on tip of tongue. Its soft one fiber of tongue sticking out with little white tip. Please help. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be ulcer

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.I have gone through the image.There is an elavated small pustular lesion most likely an ulcer.
This type of ulcer is common following any unnoticed trauma to the tongue during chewing.
Application of zytee(an anesthetic and antiseptic) lotion and metrogyl oral gel will help.
Sudden notice of the lesion also goes in favour of benign ulcer.I don't think it is related to old growth which got operated successfully.

Still if there is no improvement in next three to four days or there is rapid increase in size,I would like to get it evaluated by a surgeon/physician to rule out other possibilities.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your child's speedy recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 36 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX This is truly unnerving me. I'll have to consult his dr. before i give him any meds tho. I started him do salt water gargle. I'll send u photo of last year.. I would like to have test done anyways cause of his and our peace of mind. Last year it started same way. Much appreciate your help
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help :)

Detailed Answer:
Its my pleasure that you found my suggestion helpful.I would be glad to help you out if you have any more query.
Please let me know about the further proceedings.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 days later
Thank you,
I've attached pic of my son's growth as it is today. We have appt with his doc tomorrow morning. Do you have any suggestions about questions we should be asking? This is recurring and we have no idea about what it is called? Is it viral or other kind of infection or his tissues growing abnormally? It bothers him but has no pain just like last time. I would appreciate if you guys can suggest for kind of test that we can ask doc to perform. There is no change in his meds or food either.
Kind regards

Last two are the latest pics.. Due to lag I didn't see image listed so there are multiple copies of one of the pic. Sorry
Brief Answer:
Appears to be papillitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

I have seen the images and this time it appears more like a growth(pointed raised bump).
I would like to rule out papillitis (inflammation of papilla of tongue).It may be infectious or non infectious.
As it is not associated with any fever or sore throat,chances of non infectious is more.
In few cases it subsides on its own, but in other it may persist or even enlarge.
I don't think any specific blood test is needed for that.
Your doctor may suggest you to get it removed.In that condition histological examination of biopsy tissue would be needed.

All the best.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help

Detailed Answer:
It's my pleasure that you found my suggestion helpful.
Please let me know if you have any more doubts and also about the further proceedings.

Wishing for your child's good health.
Thanks and regards