Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

171 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for growing hard lump near collarbone

Answered by
Dr. Shoaib Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 9409 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have a large hard lump just below my collarbone that has grown in size & moved recently. What could this be?? Have had some nausea lately aswell
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doctors exam and a few investigations mandatory

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

A lump/bump at the location described by you could have multiple etiologies or have various causes. There do exist lymph nodes around the collar bone that could have inflamed due to an infection, etc. The growth could be a cyst, a tumor, and so on.

I would recommend a doctors visit and the following to be conducted:
-Physical examination by a doctor (to check consistency, mobility, rule out breast involvement, etc.)
-Chest x-ray
-CT scan or MRI of the region
-If required, ultrasound guided aspiration of the region to send tissue samples to the laboratory

I do not wish to alarm you ma'am, but all lumps need to be investigated. I would prefer not taking chances with any of my patients, and always ruling out the worst to be able to treat the more simple causes with more ease.

I hope you understand why I prefer sending you to a doctor. I also hope we both find out that this is nothing serious and you continue to live a healthy and happy life ahead. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.