• question-icon

Suggest treatment for groin pain in a teenager

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 16 year old son strained his groin in basketball about 5 weeks ago( sports doctor says pectinius addictor).
He has been in PT for 4 weeks and has also been allowed to practice basketball with restrictions(he can only dribble and shoot only with no pivoting or rotation).
He is definetly progressing and no longer feels pain during physical therapy but does notice a tightness sometimes during heavier workout days with his physical therapist.
I have a question about this tightness.
1 - is it normal to feel tightness in a healing muscle during PT?
2 - would absolute rest be better? Im speaking of no PT or activity at all.
3 - if tightness is in fact normal and ok, could i get a quick explination of what is actually going on at this stage of recovery and what the tightness indicates?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The tightness is normal.

Detailed Answer:
After a muscle pull or strain the healing takes 4-6 weeks and while the muscle tissue heals there is some scar formation that can cause the feeling of tightness. The muscle will regain the elasticity and tone with the help of physiotherapy and gradual increase in activity. Taking rest after 5 weeks of injury is not advisable.
It is best to continue with the physiotherapy and restricted playing and gradually increase the activity when the tightness is gone.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 days later
So, we are at the 6 week mark yesterday.
He has been very compliant to the restrictions.
At his first return to the basketball court yesterday he reported again, no pain but significant tightness.
Is this normal and something that has to be stretched and worked through over time?
His doctors scans and physical examination showed that he was basically healed but his doctor gave a 2 week extension of restricted movment to be beyond thourough.
This is his last year on varsity and hopefully going into college so we had questions pertaining to experiences he should expect even though he is released.
The sports doc is very sought after and busy thus hard to correspond with.
Not sure if i mentioned the muscle strained seems to be the pectinius. And his diagnosis was addoctor strain w/ pubic osteitis.
Thanks for the info
Brief Answer:
Tightness is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The muscle strains do heal well but the tightness takes some time to resolve. The inflammation will also reduce and the tightness will reduce gradually with exercise. This is a normal finding and is not worrisome.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon