Owl Image

Suggest treatment for greying hair

Dermatologist
Question
I noticed that my husband is predominantly greying on the right side of his head. Slight greying all over but definitely a very clear halving of the greying.
Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pattern of greying of hair

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greying of hair occur due to various causes . The most common cause is genetic or hereditary . Some people just tend to develop greying of hair at a particular age.
Now in most cases, the greying of hair is uniform. However in some cases, certain parts of scalp can show a premature greying . Now what is important is that you should try and look for the underlying scalp skin. Sometimes there is development of a depigmented or hypopigmented skin patch in the underlying skin. So you should try to rule out any lightening of the skin in the area with excessive grey hair.
In case the skin color is similar as the rest of the scalp, then nothing really needs to be done.
However if you notice a significant difference in the skin color, then he might need further assessment .

Dr Geetika Paul