Owl Image

Suggest treatment for grey hair of beard

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi there.. My beard is turning grey at the age of 26 and its bothersome. could you let me know some treatment for this?

Is there a possibility to revert back.. if yes, could you please suggest some medication.Thanks!
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premature greying of hair

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

The first onset of grey hair and the speed at which people go grey varies from person to person. As a rough guide 50% of the population has 50% grey hair by age 50. This is natural greying due to ageing and it cannot be prevented or reversed, totally.

Most people actually start going grey in their late 20's but they don't notice it immediately. "Premature greying" is defined as grey hair onset before late teens for Caucasians and before age 30 in Africans and Asians. Very occasionally, a few grey hairs can develop in young children and yet it indicates nothing other than an early onset of the grey hair that we all develop with increasing age. Currently available medicines target this group of people, rather than natural greying due to ageing

Scalp is affected the earliest by premature greying, the areas in which to first see grey hair development are above the ears OR at the temples. The greying of hairs then spreads to other areas. Gray hair development in the beard and moustache may also start quite early, while grey hair on the chest and pubic region generally only occurs some years after onset of grey hair on the scalp.

A role is postulated for environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, smoking, deficiency of trace elements and nutritional deficiencies in the causation of premature greying.

Currently treatment options are limited but are worth the indication, in those who develop considerable grey hairs before 30 years of age: Para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) and Calcium pantothenate are well known and are known to arrest and even reverse premature greying. Recommendation is to take 100 mg thrice daily for 6 months.

Topical 1% Melitane is a new molecule that has recently be come available for premature greying of hair. It is available as a gel and needs to be applied once daily (2ml) at night at the roots. It can be use for both scalp as well as beard greying.

These are prescription products. You should consult a dermatologist before trying these.

Hope this helps you in getting a solution to your problem