Suggest treatment for grey beard hair

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
My beared is getting white..Is there any treatment for white beared or that can stop further greying of beared??

I am suffering with this problem from last one year.
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premature graying of hair

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

The first onset of gray hair and the speed at which people go gray varies from person to person. As a rough guide 50% of the population has 50% gray hair by age 50. This is natural graying due to ageing and it cannot be prevented or reversed, totally.

Most people actually start going gray in their late 20's but they don't notice it immediately. "Premature graying" is defined as gray hair onset before late teens for Caucasians and before age 30 in Africans and Asians. Currently available medicines target this group of people, rather than natural graying due to ageing. Very occasionally, a few gray hairs can develop in young children and yet it indicates nothing other than an early onset of the gray hair that we all develop with increasing age. The most common areas on the scalp in which to first see gray hair development are above the ears OR at the temples. The graying of hairs then spreads to other areas. Gray hair development in the beard and mustache may also start quite early, while gray hair on the chest and pubic region generally only occurs some years after onset of gray hair on the scalp.

A role is postulated for environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, smoking, deficiency of trace elements and nutritional deficiencies in the causation of premature graying.

Currently treatment options are limited but are worth the indication, in those who develop considerable gray hairs before 30 years of age: Para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) and Calcium pantothenate are well known and are known to arrest and even reverse premature graying. PABATAB-BZ tablet marketed by shalak's pharmaceuticals in XXXXXXX contains both of these ingredients in adequate concentration (para-aminobenzoic acid 100 mg, biotin 5 mg, zinc 25 mg, calcium pantothenate 100 mg). Recommendation is to take thrice daily for 6 months.

Topical 1% Melitane is a new molecule that has recently be come available for premature graying of hair. It is available as a gel and needs to be applied once daily (2ml) at night at the roots. It can be use for both scalp as well as beard graying.

Hope this helps you in getting a solution to your problem

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for grey beard hair 1 hour later
Hello doctor

thanks for the reply

I want to make sure one thing. Is there any side effect of the PABATAB-BZ and Melitane.

I am using combination of Adaplane and benzoylperoxide gel. Is there any contradiction between this gel and PABATAB-BZ or Melitane.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid benzoyl peroxide to the beard area

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There are no side effects with the above medicines.
There are no interactions as such,however since benzoyl peroxide is itself a bleaching agent it should not be used on the beard area.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for grey beard hair 20 minutes later
Hello Doctor

I am suffering form acne. Doctor asked me to use Combination of Adapalene and benzoylperoxide.
for how much time i should use melitane????

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Melitane for 4-6 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Melitane, once daily at night and Oral tablets should be used for 4-6 months.

Since benzoyl peroxide has bleaching properties, therefore avoid using benzoyl peroxide to the beard area. Can use it over the cheeks/acne.