• question-icon

Suggest treatment for gout and chronic kidney disease

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Lupus
Question: I am a 64 year old male with CKD stage 3. I take allopurinol 100 mg for gout. My latest gout attack has been ongoing for 6-8 weeks. Pain has subsided however swelling is still occurring on the right big toe. Have tried various meds and a cortisone shot with limited success. I got frustrated and took 200 mg of Allopurinol for a week and then read that it could harm my kidneys. I quickly reverted back to my 100mg daily does. I am concerned about possible kidney damage from my rash actions. Would a week at 200 mg. cause me to be as concerned as I am? Thank You
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allopurinol Dose

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, dont worry about the allopurinol Dose.. It is a very minor dose increment which you did and It wont harm the kidneys...We can even slowly titrate it to 300 mg , while we keep monitoring your functions...So, at 200 also we are quite ok. The main purpose is to keep the uric acid low as high uric acid is itself a risk factor for kidneys..

But I would like to suggest.. During the attack never increase the dose as it can further prolong the attack, as more uric acid gets deposited in the joints

SO , best options during the attacks.. Use Either Colchicine 0.5 mg on alternate days and PRednisolone( No NSAIDS). They will help control the attack quickly...

Be at ease, no harm will be done to kidneys...

I hope the information was useful

Do let me know for more queries

DR Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 13 hours later
Hello Dr. Mendiratta,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I very much appreciate your expert opinion! One clarification - On the first of the seven days I took 300mg.( was interrupted for a period and subsequently lost count of how many tablets I had taken ) and then I reverted back to the 200 mg as I have already explained for the following 6 days. I am hoping that moving up from the 100mg I have been taking for a year and a half to 300mg for the One Day would not have caused any harm to my kidneys. As you have suggested, when increasing doses you should slowly titrate. 100mg to 300mg for the One Day is not the smartest move I have made.

Thank You,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further course

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Sorry for the delayed reply. Had a long day at emergency

Well, dont worry about it too much. Allopurinol is not toxic to the kidneys. Only reason the drug dose if modified is to reduce the other side effects which may be caused due to delayed excretion of the drug

So, that short period of dose wont harm your kidneys. But yes, it does prolong your Gout attack...

So for now, maintain on 100 mg and keep following on uric acid..If high we will increase the dose subsequently

DO let me know for more queries

Dr Naval
Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist