• question-icon

Suggest treatment for gonorrhoea

Posted on Wed, 27 Sep 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello, I am a 21 year male student in Australia. I went to a brothel in Sydney in 3 weeks ago. And I received a oral sex without condom from a female sex worker ,a vagina sex with a condom. After 5 days, I went to see a GP and I was diagnosed to have gonorrhoea. I was so scared and I did an ab/ag HIV test after 2 weeks after exposure. The test result is negative. There were not obvious cut in my penis when I am receiving the oral sex. I saw much research, someone said receiving oral sex is an extremely low risk of getting HIV. And someone said there is no risk for HIV in receiving an oral sex. Also, now is the 25 days after the expose. I have a slight cold and slight sore throat. I check my body temperature many time a day. Most of the temperature is 36.8-37. Sometimes I get 37.1 or 37.2 in evening. I have diarrhea when I don't eat in a day. I just want to know how risky I can get the HIV.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry! There is little to no risk to get HIV .

Detailed Answer:

Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Having a negative result of an ab/ag HIV test after 2 weeks is a good news.

Based on your history, you should know that having protected sexual intercourse,there is no risk to get HIV infection.
As well having oral sex without protection exist a little to no risk to get HIV.
Although the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex is low, some factors may increase that risk, including sores in the mouth or on the penis, bleeding gums.
But, based on the fact that you don't have sores in the penis I think that this completely excludes the limited broadcasting opportunity.

According your recent symptoms I think that this is just a viral situation and not related to HIV.
If you do not feel confident and calm about the above facts I suggest you to perform a 4th generation HIV test after 3 months from the exposure as a conclusive test.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 23 minutes later
The mouth condition of the female sex work is unknown, and my gonorrhoea might come from the oral sex . But i am sure there was no sore in my penis . Am i still not risk of catch HIV?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 22 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

Gonorrhea and HIV have different way to get transmitted.
As I sad above there exist a little to no risk to get HIV but based on your negative lab result I think you are free of HIV.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 24 minutes later
Thanks for you respond and help.but the lab result just for 2 weeks after incidence, so the is risk free of HIV base on the lab result or not obvious cut of my penis ?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Based on the both facts.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

I think you are free of HIV based on: little to no risk from oral sex, negative lab result as well that you don't have obvious sores in the penis.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist