• question-icon

Suggest treatment for gonorrhea

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I had unprotected sex with a woman 4 or 5 times over the course of a week. She tested positive for gonorrhea. I was tested (more than 1 week after exposure), and all my results were negative. I have no symptoms. Is it necessary or recommended that I take medication, or should that only happen if a test result showed a positive?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will need treatment with antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

It is recommended that anybody who has been exposed to gonorrhea require treatment with antibiotics, even of tested negative (at his is because testing for gonorrhea is not always full proof and can give false negative results).

So please be advised to undergo antibiotic therapy with 250mg of intramuscular Ceftriaxone and 1g of oral azithromycin. You'll be needing a prescription for these from your local physician.

A single STI screening test is not conclusive, so I would also recommend getting tested for other sexually transmitted infections like herpes, HIV, chlamydia...

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 17 minutes later
What if a second screening was performed? Wouldn't another negative result nearly eliminate the possibility of infection?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

With two negative results, the possibility of infection is very less, especially if the testing done was Nucleic acid amplification testing. However, the possibility of having the infection is not zero even if you have tested negative twice.
That is why antibiotic therapy is recommended for all the partners of a person affected with gonorrhea, irrespective of test results.
So I would recommend that the best option for you is to consider antibiotic therapy.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
Would treatment also be recommended for a 3rd party? (A second partner of mine)
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:

Since you tested negative, the chances of you transmitting the infection is very minimal.So your partner does not need to be treated according to guidelines
However, as I mentioned in above answer you need to undergo testing for other sexually transmitted infections ,and if any one of them comes back positive, all your sexual partners will need to be informed and treated.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal