• question-icon

Suggest treatment for gestational diabetes

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doctor,
I am currently 27 weeks pregnant and during my 24th week was tested positive in the GTT test with gestational diabetes (attached is the report).
I changed my diet for three weeks having less of carbohydrates at a single meal and no intake of direct sugar. I re-took a sugar test (fasting and 2 hours post breakfast) and they came normal. Can you please suggest, if i need to take extra caution for the next three months and monitor my sugar levels on daily basis using a Glucometer. If so, which one is better to purchase (as when i read about the reviews, most of them dont show accurate results). Or is it better to get a sugar test done every week/bi-weekly basis. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Add B12, standard glucometer will be of help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
I have understood your concern and I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

I have gone through your reports.
Yes, your glucose tolerance test showed deviation.
What you are following about diet is absolutely fine. Have plenty of foods with high nutritional value and low calorie count. Cucumber, lettuce, tomato, spinach, citrus fruits belong to this group.
Have a regular exercise regimen.
Please, consult a trainee physiotherapist and start with exercise schedule. Walking and some other calisthenics will be of help.

Along with your current supplements add vitamin B 12 supplementation.

Also, repeat HbA1C blood test after 3 months. At present your reports are quite ok for the same.
If you are quite cautious about your diet, exercise and nutritional supplements, then you can get blood sugar levels done every weekly.
As you will be nearing term, after about 32 weeks, you can start monitoring blood sugar levels on alternate days, may be with glucometer.
You can choose any machine with CE- standard.
What you need to check is that you blood sugar levels are not showing up and down swings- meaning too high or too low at times.
And near to term, and around the time of delivery, blood sugar levels should be in the normal range. This avoids various problems for the new born.

Please do not panic.
Keep cool. Meditate.
All things will be fine in the due course of time.
May God bless you with the bundle of XXXXXXX

Please feel free to communicate with me again.
I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN