• question-icon

Suggest treatment for geographic tongue along with cracks

Posted on Fri, 14 Aug 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi I have geographic tongue and now I have some deep cracks and some not so deep cracks all over the front part of my tongue is this something to worry about? ....it's giving me anxiety...ty
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
a photo is needed;oral culture testing advised

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

Having a geographic tongue with presence of cracks is indicating possible oral or general health issues.

That is not worrisome but needs proper medical attention.

I need to have a picture of your tongue to give a more precise opinion.

For the moment, if I was your caring doctor would advise to run culture of tongue and oral swab to determine whether it is a fungal, bacterial or viral infection.

I also advise to :
- avoid too hot foods /drinks
- take OTC oral antiseptic containing methylen blue and lidocaine to reduce oain
- keep good oral hygiene

Looking forward to have the requested picture in.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 9 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you...see details below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Thank you for providing the picture. I admit I was waiting for a photo with larger size.

Anyway, I was able to see the cracks you are referring. May I know if they are giving any problem to you: burning? pain? or any other ?

If no problem, then, they might have developed due to consuming too hot foods/drinks or frizzy drinks.

If you have burning or other symptom for longer period, then, it might be due to:
- candida thrush
- or anemia
Further tests are needed to rule them out:
- oral swab testing/culture
- complete blood count

In either cases, there is nothing worrisome. With proper diagnosis, they will subside.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini