Suggest treatment for genital sores

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a genital sore that is concerning me. What is it and what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely folliculitis but need more information.

Detailed Answer:
welcoem to HCM,

I have read the query and reviewed the picture,

I will keep the first possibility of bacterial follicilits from just a single at the picture given by you but I will need some more information from you to assess your condition better.

Since how many days you have noticed it?
Do you had a history of unprotected sex?
Any itching or irritation?
Have you tried any cream or ointment so far?

Please get back to me with these answers,

Dr XXXXXXX kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 4 hours later
I have not had sex with any new partners recently. There is no itching, but the site is tender to the touch and is sore. It started about 7-10 days ago. I have attached some additional pictures in case that helps
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
apply antiseptic cream or ointment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sharing more information,

Since you did not have unprotected sex with new partner,it is highly unlikely due to STD,so I would think about the possibility of folliculitis first.

It can be due to friction or irritation.

You can apply antiseptic cream or ointment like neosporin daily two times.

Oral small course antibiotic will also be helpful (like cefadroxyl or cefixime) for which you can see some local doctor who may prescribe you.

Over the counter pain killer like aleve or ibuprofen will be helpful from the relief of pain.

Dr XXXXXXX kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 19 hours later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome,

Dr.Sandip kabra