Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for generalized seizure disorder

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3624 Questions
My son is 26 and about a year ago started having these seizure like episodes that usually start when he's sleeping. For about 30 minutes, even though he is wide awake, he doesn't seem to k now where he is. He will see things, even try talking even though his speech is slurred. He may even get up and walk around. He will be profusely sweating and drooling. Usually he has 2 of these episodes within 3-4 hours, and then he's sick for 3 days with vomiting (dry heaves). They had been happening once a month, then he will skip a couple of months and be fine, and then they start again. Now they're happening more often. He had 2 episodes January 30 and then 2 again today. They've checked his blood for high/low blood sugar, done an ECG and checked his heart and can find nothing. I don't know where to take him from here.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Consult a Neurologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Based on the description of the symptoms you have provided, I suspect your sun to have a generalized seizure disorder. To know the type of the disorder and to identify the cause for the same, he may have to be examined by a Neurologist and investigated with tests like EEG (Electroencephalogram), CT/ MRI scan of the brain etc. Though blood sugar disturbances can lead to such symptoms I do not think that's the cause here. Also since the ECG is normal, no cardiac conditions can be suspected here. Please do visit the Neurologist at the earliest. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for generalized seizure disorder 3 days later
He's been to a neurologist. They found nothing. He's had brain scans and an MRI. So now I don't know where to go.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer: EEG is the gold standard Detailed Answer: Hi, Seizures are almost always due to electrical disturbances in the brain. Such disturbances can only be noticed and studied by EEG. MRI would only identify the cause of seizure if its due to a tumor. Do discuss about the same with his neurologist. regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for generalized seizure disorder 4 minutes later
He did visit a neurologist. He did have an EEG. They found nothing.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please attach the EEG report here Detailed Answer: Hi, I would like to have a look at the EEG report. Please do attach the EEG report on the right side of this query page. Waiting for the report,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor