Suggest treatment for generalized nail dystrophy in children

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 15 Jul 2015 in Child Health
Question: I blessed with a baby girl on Last August 01st when the time of bith she had
Near Tearm 36 Weeks,IUGR,(ICD Code #p5.0)
Meconium Stained Amnitic fluid
Congenital Hear disease PDA
Cholelithiasis
polcythemia/Thrombocytopenia
Absent Left Middle and Terminal Phalanges(left Fifth Finger)

we gone for treatment and after 3 months we took 2d eco result we got as NO PDA

My worry is she had the generalized nail destrophy ,hair,and skin skin laxity. is there any treatment available for her.

Now she is in her 10th Month she got only 2 teeth in Lower Jaw and
Her weight 6.2Kgs,Length :25 inches ,Head Circumference 16.1 inches.

i want to know she can grow like normal baby or any care need to take on her health ?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sorry to say but there is no specific treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The symptoms of generalised nail dystrophy,hair and skin with skin laxity in this age is suggestive of ectodermal dysplasia.
Although the basic disorder is same the ectrodermal dysplasia is a spectrum of disorder which can be mild to very severe.
It is usually not apparent in new born and skin,hair and dental abnormality usually manifests in later infancy.
The neonatal problem like meconium stained fluid,PDA,polycythemia/throbocytopenia is unrelated to this disorder and a neonate with all these disorder may not have any impact on their future growth.
But growth failure is very common in Ectodermal dysplasia.
The weight of 6.2 kg,length of 25 inches and HC of 16.1 inches all are below the normal limit.
The management is symptomatic like multivitamin(As advised Trichotom),skin ointment with antioxidant and nourishing value(like placentrex) and proper nutrition of the child.
The ectodermal dysplasia can be of anhydrotic(no sweating) or hidrotic(with adequate sweating) variant.
The anhidrotic variant needs extra care regarding environmental temperature and hydration.
Hearing and visual assessment and proper evaluation to rule out any other anomalies is also needed.
Even there is increased risk of growth failure and illnesses the overall prognosis is good and the child can lead a normal life in future.

I hope this helps.
Please ask if you have any further query.
Wish her all good health.