• question-icon

Suggest treatment for gastrointestinal infection in a child

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi doc
My son is 3.5 years old..
Three days back he passed 2-3 semi solid poops with smell.. he had little fever as well
I gave him econorm XXXXXXX the first day
Then gave him oflox oz next day.. smell reduced but he was passing stool after every meal( semi solid) sometimes dark green n other time yellow.. no watery stools..usually he passes stool only once a day..
called doc today he prescribed oflamac M two times.. please suggest what should i do as i m worried.. still he is passing stool 3-5 times
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment.Continue the antibiotic that you have givn

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your child is suffering from a gastrointestinal infection. It could be due to contaminated food or improper hand hygiene.

The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution). Unless the lost salts and fluids are replenished the child would become dehydrated. The urine output needs to be monitored. If the frequency comes down it indicates dehydration and calls for additional supplementation of fluids. But if the child becomes lethargic you would need to take the child to a hospital without delay. The cause is self-limiting and does not need to be treated with antibiotics unless the stool is blood stained. However since you have started oflox oz you should complete the course. Oflomac M is a similar medicine but I do not see any justification to change over. The choice of whether you still want change over to the prescribed antibiotic resides upon you.

I would additionally suggest you to give zinc supplements like Zinconia Syr 5 ml once daily for the next 10 days. You need not worry. It should gradually return back to normal. Also give curd or yogurt since it contains plenty of beneficial bacteria and should help. Alternatively you can give some probiotics like Econorm.

The altered stool consistency may persist for 2-4 days before it resolves. Please be patient. Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 25 hours later
Thank u for your answer doc
Continuing with same medicine.. will give him zinc from tomorrow
He passed stool 4 times today semisolid
My concern is shall i continue with his normal diet or should i change anything??
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the updates.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update.
No need to worry about the stool. Just ensure a proper fluid intake.
You can continue normal diet. Rice based diet is preferable. No other change required.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician