• question-icon

Suggest treatment for gastro esophageal reflux disease

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: sour taste in mouth-increasing, sour smelling anal discharge- increasing
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gastro esophageal reflux disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Some people have GERD without heartburn. A sour or bitter taste in the mouth. The backflow of stomach acid and juices into the esophagus may cause this sour or bitter taste.
Tests suggested are-
Manometry-This test allows to determine if muscle disorders exist in the esophagus, thus making it difficult to push food and liquids down into the stomach.
Endoscopy repeat should be done to see the condition of ulcers.

Now lets move to your treatment-
See as the name suggests ACID REFLUX should be treated in two phases-
1)Take a proton pump inhibitor like Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily.(you may need to obtain prescription for this from your local physician).

Antacid like Pepto bismol can be taken for few days along with it.
2)To prevent the acid formed inside stomach to reflux back into esophagus-I would suggest you to add Levosulpiride. Itis a prokinetic drug and is very effective in controlling reflux of acid back into esophagus.A better way is to take it with Rabeprazole trials have shown that its very effective when combined with Rabeprazole

Apart from this, some dietary restrictions are to be followed-

- Avoid alcohol or smoking.
- No aerated beverages.
- Take light non spicy easily digestible food for few days.
- No Fast food like pizza or burger should be taken.
- Drink a cup of cold milk daily.
- Avoid fatty foods.

If not relieved in 5 days, an endoscopy may be planned to rule out any peptic ulcers or H.pylori infection(Very unlikely) after visiting your Physician.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist